Contra Costa ARC is the largest employer of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in Contra Costa County, and one of the largest in California. With over 800 people on our payroll, we are ranked as a mid-to-large employer in Contra Costa County. We are a non-profit corporation with 50 years of effective, dynamic partnership with the public and private sector in this county.
Our programs serve people with the most severe disabilities living in our communities today. We support them as they become independent, self-supporting, and participating citizens.
Our Annual Impact on the Local Economy:
- $12,342,655 paid in wages
- $ 8,144,189 spent locally on goods and services
- $20,486,844 total dollars placed in local community
Our Annual Contribution to State and Federal Governments:
- $965,690 payroll taxes paid by Contra Costa ARC
Annual Income Generated from the Private Sector:
- $1,615,888 generated through contract work with local business and industry (over 300 companies use our assembly, packaging, and direct mail services)
- $1,029,276 generated through private contributions and thrift store operations
Contra Costa ARC raises over 16% of its operating funds through business efforts and private contributions. Contra Costa ARC’s administrative costs are under 9% of total costs.
Our Services Enrich the Community in Many Ways:
- In addition to hiring people with disabilities to work in our own production centers, we support over 150 people with disabilities working in more than 100 companies throughout Contra Costa.
- The taxable dollars our workers earn reduce SSI benefits they receive from the government.
- The cost of serving a person in our programs is a small fraction of cost of care in a state-run facility. Our programs are an example of your tax dollars at work in a very cost-effective and productive manner.
- With our support, people who have significant disabilities are taking their places as contributing members of their communities.